Sunday, May 2, 2010

Walk Like You Have Somewhere to Go - Book Review

This book is written by Lucille O'Neal who is the mother of the basketball star Shaquille O'Neal. Lucille tells the story of how she went from being a teenage unwed mother to a successful adult earning her master's degree in her fifties.

I enjoyed seeing the family pictures which made a nice touch. Overall, it was an easy book to read and made for a very interesting story as Lucille recalled her life journey.

I especially liked the bible verses as they pertained to each chapter of her life. However, I found a typo on chapter 32. Psalm 56:4. In the book it reads: "In God, whose word I praise in God I trust; I will not be not afraid." Too many "nots" in the quote...

Overall, I really admire Lucille and her courage to come out and tell her story. Although I can appreciate her dedication to her family and loved ones I was very disappointed that her marriage ended in divorce. Yes, life is hard and relationships go through trials and tribulations, but in the end it is harder to be alone than with someone you shared the majority of your life with. God is good and with his help anything is possible, including a renewed relationship with the one you committed yourself to.

No comments:

Post a Comment