Monday, May 24, 2010

Mind Your Own Mortgage


This book is a must read for anyone interested in learning how to buy a house intelligently and pay it off early. There is detailed information on how to shop for a mortgage, how much money to put down and what the monthly mortgage payment should be in relation to household income. Even for those who already have a mortgage, the author explains how to manage any mortgage either by refinancing or paying it off early. Staying away from gimmicks is the key as well as reading the fine print and negotiating a better deal.

As an added bonus, the author explains why being debt free is the key to being wealthy. Much like Dave Ramsey in his Total Money Makeover book, Mr. Bernabé is also a believer of debt freedom. The author states, "Consumer debt has nothing to do with what you've purchased; it represents a current and future claim on your money." This is a foreign concept in our credit card using society but it is incredibly true. Financial freedom is powerful and attainable.

I will certainly be passing this book on to friends who are newly married and looking down the road to purchasing their own home. I only wish I had read this book 20 years ago.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, Stacie. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Stacie! Thanks for your encouraging comment on my post.

    Yes, we know about Dave and love Dave. We have successfully reduced our debt to a smaller amount and are about two months from being done with it, if I could still have my salary, that is. My husband would be having a major meltdown if we were where we were two years ago!

    It's just scary not knowing where the next couple of months will lead. God knows, but I wish he'd clue me in!

    ReplyDelete