Monday, March 29, 2010

Looking for Serenity and Peace


The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr


I'm weighing in on things I can change and things I cannot change.

What I can control:
My weight.
My outlook on life and family.
My anger at what I cannot control.

What I cannot control:
Whether or not John gets a job this week. Or next. Or next.
My son's lack of focus on his school studies.
The weather.
The agenda of the relatives.
Jacked up prices at Harris Teeter when they have triple coupon specials.
Customers who don't follow deadlines and become unresponsive.
Checks in the mail.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.

Proverbs 3, 5-6

No comments:

Post a Comment